Re: Small DB Server Advice

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
Cc: PGSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small DB Server Advice
Date: 2008-02-13 17:38:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> (https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/r325hs-1u.php?configuration=7766)
>    4 x 147GB 15000 rpm SCSI in RAID 10 with 320-1 RAID CARD + 64MB cache BBU

That's running the LSI Megaraid SCSI controller.  Those are solid but not
the best performers in their class, particularly on writes.  But given
your application description (1GB data in a year and read-heavy) that card
running a 4-spindle RAID10 should be overkill.

> I'm particularly out of date about the best processors to go for. DNUK
> also have Opteron as an option.

Current Intel chips benchmark better, occasionally you'll find people who
claim the better multi-CPU memory model in the Opteron systems give them
better performance at high loads but that's difficult to quantify.
There's not a huge difference in any case.  You're probably going to
bottleneck on either disk or how fast DDR2 memory goes anyway and both
sets of products are competative right now.