Re: an other provokative question??

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: an other provokative question??
Date: 2007-09-07 06:37:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Definitely a niche product.

Stonebraker's commentary was unfortunately spun by the ComputerWorld
columnist. I hope people followed the link to his actual blog entry at
http://www.databasecolumn.com/2007/09/one-size-fits-all.html where his
arguement is that the idea of one database approach always being right
just isn't true anyway. With that mindset, every technology is a niche
product of sorts; just the size of the niche varies.

Given past history of this project and its relation to Stonebraker, I was
tempted earlier today to suggest that the Postgres vs. PostgreSQL renaming
argument be dropped in favor of renaming the database "Horizontica".