"Working with CVS" documentation

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "Working with CVS" documentation
Date: 2007-06-03 07:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've now finished up initial content generation on the wiki page that
covers using the CVS repository:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Working_with_CVS

That includes all the helpful comments suggested on this list in last
month's threads on this topic along with a full dump of what was in my
brain. The most complete section expands Heikki's workflow into a fleshed
out example I think is good enough for new potential developers to use.

I've also put some notes on the Discussion page of this article that lead
to links on recent general trends in this area. Anyone who isn't familiar
with distributed version control systems like Git or Mercurial should find
those references one way to get up to speed on what's going on there.
With high-profile projects like Apache recently committing to DVCS work
these tools are really becoming mainstream.

Some of that reading is both informative and periodically hilarious; my
favorite quote is from Linus Torvalds, who says "if you actually like
using CVS, you shouldn't be here. You should be in some mental
institution".