Re: pg_stat_* collection

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_stat_* collection
Date: 2007-05-04 04:53:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Alexander Staubo wrote:

> I have a bunch of plugin scripts for Munin that collect PostgreSQL
> statistics. I have been considering tarring them up as a proper release
> at some point.

Excellent plan. Pop out a tar file, trade good ideas with Tobias, have
some other people play with the code and improve it. Let me know if you
need a place to put the files at, since I'd like to look at them anyway I
could easily dump them onto a web page while I was at it.

Munin is a very interesting solution to this class of problem. They've
managed to streamline the whole data collection process by layering clever
Perl hacks three deep. It's like the anti-SNMP--just build the simplest
possible interface that will work and then stop designing. The result is
so easy to work with that it's no surprise people like Munin.

It's also completely inappropriate for any environment I work in, because
there really is no thought of security whatsoever in the whole thing.
What I'm still thinking about is whether it's possible to fix that issue
while still keeping the essential simplicity that makes Munin so friendly.