confused with encodings

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: confused with encodings
Date: 2003-06-16 18:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo,

recently I tried to understand why I can't get sorting works properly
with cyrillic characters in UTF8 datbase. I figure out the
reason of my confusion - I thought I could specify different encodings
for different databases and these encodings will be used in text operations
(sort, upper,lower), not just for conversion.
But, actually, the only encoding is important for text operations - the one
specified with 'initdb' command ! Is't true ?

If so, it's a big issue :)

After I created separate storage for unicode (initdb -E utf8) and
restarted postmaster I got success with 'order by', but
upper(), lower() functions still fails.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83