Re: RC1 time?

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RC1 time?
Date: 2002-01-09 10:52:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
> >
> > Only Marc knows. I think server is overloaded - it hosts several
> > rather big projects+database server. More memory will helps but
> > I'd add several hard drives to separate disk activity.
>

> the only thing that server hosts is the PostgreSQL Project ...

Again, I'd prefer to have a separate machine dedicated for fts project.
I don't like to work in 'jail' bsdish environment :-)
Currently I see, for example, ftpd process eats about 10hours ! of CPU,
keep in mind the server rebooted only 2 days ago !
Disk activity is very high ! There are only 2 disks ..
simple select from table with 10 records takes about 10 seconds !
Damn. I think it's time to think seriously about supporting of
postgresql.org. It's sort of marketing things, but it's very important.
If, for example, somebody interest in database with full text search
support and tries fts.postgresql.org, he'll form a very bad opinion
about search engine, about database. He'll not interested that
hardware is very limited and this is temporal problem. He will go
to mysql website :-(

In my opinion, simple PIII server: 1Gb ram, 3 HD (SCSI) ( system, db, web )
would be enough for fts.postgresql.org.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83