How to see a RULE definition?

From: Josh Goodman <jogoodma(at)lanl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to see a RULE definition?
Date: 2001-01-11 16:16:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I am a Postgresql convert from MySQL so I am fairly new to this
system but I am catching on quick. I had a question that I couldn't find
in any of the docs or in the FAQ's. I was creating a rule on a view and
was wondering if there was a way to look at the rule definition once it
has been saved?

I envision myself creating a few rules here and there but if I
move off this DB project and someone else takes over I would like them to
have a way to see what I did. I was able to figure out that all the rules
for a particular DB are stored in the pg_rewrite table but that seems
almost unreadable for a human. What I would like is a command that spits
out the create syntax I used when the rule was first created. On that
same line of thinking, is there a command to get a list of all rules that
have been put on a table?

I guess if all else fails I will just have to pull up a good old
text editor and detail exactly what rules I build in.

Thanks,
Josh Goodman