[GENERAL] serial type

From: Greg Beams <gob(at)cat(dot)cs(dot)mu(dot)OZ(dot)AU>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] serial type
Date: 1999-09-28 04:45:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to create a table as such:

create table comment
(rec_id serial,
locale varchar(50),
...)

It creates correctly, telling me that it will create an implicit sequence
for the serial column, and an implicit index for the table. But, when I
try to insert a record into the database (without specifying the value for
the rec_id column) I get the following error:

ERROR: serial.nextval: sequence does not exist

Does anyone have any ideas (I'm not sure whether this belongs on this
list, or the pgsql-sql list)?

Thanks, Greg.

Greg Beams - gob(at)students(dot)cs(dot)mu(dot)oz(dot)au

I'M NOT OKAY, YOU'RE NOT OKAY--BUT, HEY, THAT'S OKAY.