Re: [GENERAL] Performance

From: Statistical Solutions <statsol(at)statsol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Performance
Date: 1999-03-30 14:23:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

[snip]
> Using the rc5 client as a 'benchmark' (what else has programmers working
> hard to optimize their code to get the best numbers on it?), we found that
> when comparing a Dual-PII 450 against an Sparc E450/400Mhz, the E450 came
> in at ~30% less powerful then the Dual-PII ...
>
> If you take a look at http://infopad.EECS.Berkeley.EDU/CIC/summary/local,
> it shows comparisons of the various CPUs out there, up until Nov/98 ...
> the Intel CPUs blow away the Sparc chip's in integer arithmetic, while the
> Sparc excels in floating point. Your operating system, and the database,
> tends to do most stuff in integer, so you get performance boons that
> way...
>
> The other thing to consider is that you are comparing two differences, not
> just one. Different CPUs and different operating systems. Solaris isn't
> nicknamed 'slowaris' for nothing :) Its a bloated OS, albeit stable...

The original poster noted using Solaris 2.5.1 -- been there, done that, it
certainly can be slow. A long time ago, I contacted Sun about this. They
acknowledged a problem with the dynamic library loading routines. I have
a Dual Sparc 125/512 running Solaris 2.6 and a dual pentium-100 running
2.5.1. I'll test some to see if this might be 2.5 v. 2.6 OS differences,
although there is stil the underlying hardware issue.

The second point however, is clock speeds. Two 167 CPUs <> One 333 CPU.

The third is the SPARC chip's cache versus the Intel chip's cache. I know
SUN and Ross were making chips with as little as 128 cache, and the SPEC
marks for the 128 v. 256 v 512 v 1024 cache are phenomenal. So just out
of curiousity, what's the cache size on the SPARC and Intel chips
respectively?