Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Date: 2000-03-01 14:47:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> It is unlikely that we can transparently parse two-word types in
> gram.y without explicit support for it. Just adding IDENT IDENT to
> simple types leads to a shift/reduce conflict.

I am not saying that we should support two token types in general. Only
the SQL types. We already do that anyway, like (kind of)

Type: CHARACTER VARYING { $$ = "varchar"; }
| etc.

All I'm saying is that we add

| BIT VARYING { $$ = "bit varying"; }

No problem so far, right? Especially, if this is dumped out, then it
becomes bit varying without any extra effort.

The only problem is that with the current syntax the bootstrap scanner
cannot insert fields that contain spaces. Simple fix there, and we're
done.

To be clear again: I am not vaguely suggesting that we support any
multi-token types. I am just saying that we shouldn't introduce any new
and unnecessary external/internal type discrepancies just because the
bootstrap scanner is stupid.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala