Re: [GENERAL] AW: [HACKERS] TRANSACTIONS

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Jose Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
Cc: Wim Ceulemans <wim(dot)ceulemans(at)nice(dot)be>, "'general'" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] AW: [HACKERS] TRANSACTIONS
Date: 2000-02-24 16:18:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Jose Soares wrote:

> NOTICE: (transaction aborted): all queries ignored until end of transaction block
>
> *ABORT STATE*

> Why PostgreSQL doesn't make an implicit ROLLBACK instead of waitting for a
> COMMIT/ROLLBACK ?

The PostgreSQL transaction paradigm seems to be that if you explicitly
start a transaction, you get to explicitly end it. This is of course at
odds with SQL, but it seems internally consistent to me. I hope that one
of these days we can offer the other behaviour as well.

> Why PostgreSQL allows a COMMIT in this case ?

Good question. I assume it doesn't actually commit though, does it? I
think a CHECK_IF_ABORTED (sp?) before calling the commit utility routine
would be appropriate. Anyone?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala