Re: Who is a maintainer of GiST code ?

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who is a maintainer of GiST code ?
Date: 2000-12-20 20:42:36
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

We finished (cross fingers) our changes in GiST code for 7.0.3
and in next 2 days we plan to send patches for upcoming 7.1 release.
Isn't this too late ? What else we need to submit ?
We have int4array contribution package which added index support for
integer arrays and it's probably should come to contrib directory.
We got about 3 orders of magnitude speedup using RD-Tree.
Probably we need to add regression test for GiST.

We have following fixes for GiST (7.0.3):
1. indices now store on disk in compressed form - was decompressed which
causes broken index when using compression function
(now compression of indices is really works)
2. NULLs now don't broken index
3. added support for keys with variable length - was fixed-length

Patches and contribution package could be prepared in several days,
documentation with some benchmarks and blurbs require more time.
We plan to use these last changes to speedup our full-text-search
( killer application ) and write article to popularize GiST+Postgres.
Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Oleg

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:00:21 -0500
> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
> Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,
> PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Who is a maintainer of GiST code ?
>
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> > seems rtree doesn't ignore NULL ?
>
> Hm, maybe not. There are explicit tests to ignore null inputs in hash
> indexes (hash/hash.c), and I'd just sort of assumed that rtree and gist
> do the same.
>
> FWIW, your example doesn't seem to provoke an error in current sources;
> but it does take quite a long time (far longer than building a btree
> index on 10000 nulls). That makes me think that indexing nulls in rtree
> might be a bad idea even if it works.
>
> regards, tom lane

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83