Re: opening old database

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: Jacques Williams <jacques(at)panix(dot)com>
Cc: Will Smith <wsmith(at)powerup(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: opening old database
Date: 2000-05-20 18:16:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

This brings up a excellent question, can you have your stores on more one
directory / device / mount point?

not that its too critical with the big drives that are available these
days, but was wondering if some performance could be gained by having
indexes managed on one drive and the store managed on another?

-D. Duccini

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Jacques Williams wrote:

> Try this:
>
> Start postgresql with the PGDATA environment variable pointing to the old database -- "postmaster -D /mount/point/of/old/database "
>
> then do "pg_dumpall > db.out"
>
> Kill the postmaster and restart it pointing to the new database, and do "psql < db.out".
>
> HTH.
>
> Jacques Williams
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 04:04:35PM +1000, Will Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem, I was experimenting with postgresql-6.5.2 under RH6.1
> > linux, made the changover to RH6.2 - at the last minute remembered the
> > database I had been using and simply saved it to a partition that wasn't
> > being overwritten. My problem now is that I can't access it, it all
> > seems to be there and postgresql seems to work ok but I can't see how to
> > either import the database or open it. I have trawled through
> > documentation but the only way I can find is 'import table' in pgaccess,
> > which refuses to do anything with the table - says it doesn't exist.
> > Have tried many different ways to hack it up also but no joy.
> > Can anyone tell me how to import a database.
> >
> > Will Smith

david(at)backpack(dot)com BackPack Software, Inc. www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax Don't forget your BackPack!"