Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Nacos <m(dot)nacos(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?
Date: 2008-09-24 18:32:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Daniel Migowski wrote:

> AFAIK is UTF-8 the only encoding which the driver supports, anyway. And
> the native Java encoding, too. In my opinion the API should either
> support Writers and Readers (instead of Output- and InputStream), so the
> application has to take care for the encoding itself, or the API should
> encapsulate setting an arbitrary encoding on the server side before the
> copy command, and return to the default encoding directly afterwards.

Yes, the current copy patches only support *Stream which does leave the
user exposed to encoding issues.  Providing a Reader/Writer API doesn't
support COPY ... BINARY, but I don't know how many people would actually
use such a thing.  Parallel interfaces are a possibility, but I'd guess
people would end up using the Stream versions for non-binary data anyway.

Does anyone have the need to do COPY BINARY?

I also wonder what the encoding conversion hit is if no conversion needs
to be done.  Perhaps we should measure that before abandonding the Stream

Kris Jurka