Re: very large result sets and ResultSet.relative() to jump to a desired offset

From: "Matt Magoffin" <postgresql(dot)org(at)msqr(dot)us>
To: "Andres Ledesma" <aledesc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: very large result sets and ResultSet.relative() to jump to a desired offset
Date: 2008-09-24 20:44:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> That is the sick of Java developers when dealing with databases, do take
> advantages of the RDMS engine.

That's great for Postgres-specific apps, sure. But when writing general
apps that need to work with a variety of database systems, that just makes
for more work. This kind of stuff often can/should be handled in the JDBC
driver.

I remember stumbling on a mailing list article that mentioned some work
done in a 7.5 branch to support server-side cursors with scrollable
results sets, which is the actual source of the problem here. I can't seem
to find that message now... was there some work done for this previously?
If I could see that as a starting point, I'd try to work on support for
this in the 8.3 branch code.

-- m@