Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Bjørn T Johansen <btj(at)havleik(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?
Date: 2008-03-21 02:17:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Bjrn T Johansen wrote:

> Ok, I just thought since the version says 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 that this
> meant that jdbc version 8.1 should be used for db version 8.1, jdbc
> version 8.2 was meant for db 8.2, and so forth....

The version numbering is meant to indicate that for a 8.1 database you
need at least a 8.1 JDBC driver because the driver usually needs some
changes for each new server version, but we maintain compatibility with
previous server versions. We maintain the older driver versions because
the driver's behavior changes slightly from version to version, so people
can upgrade to get bug fixes without new features/behavior changes. So if
you're starting a new application with a 8.1 server, there's no reason not
to use the 8.3 driver, but if you're already using the 8.1 driver,
upgrading to the 8.3 driver without testing is not a good idea.

Kris Jurka