Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Adam Hardy <adam(dot)hardy(at)cyberspaceroad(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name
Date: 2008-02-01 20:45:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:

> it seems to me from what you just said that PostgreSQL server and JDBC driver
> require the schema name to be lower case deliberately, and that any given
> name that is not all lower case is converted to lower case by the server or
> the driver. Am I correct?

Anything that is not quoted is converted to lowercase. This is contrary
to the SQL spec (it says to convert it to uppercase), but that's unlikely
to change anytime soon. A JDBC app can portably detect this case by
checking DatabaseMetaData.storesLowerCaseIdentifiers() and adjusting the
other metadata calls appropriately.

Kris Jurka