Re: executeQuery hangs on busy server - PROPOSAL: socketTimeout parameter

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrea Spinelli <aspinelli(at)imteam(dot)it>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alessandro Magnolo <amagnolo(at)imteam(dot)it>, Valerio Mazzoleni <vmazzoleni(at)imteam(dot)it>
Subject: Re: executeQuery hangs on busy server - PROPOSAL: socketTimeout parameter
Date: 2007-08-10 16:20:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
>> People want the query to be stopped, but they don't want their whole
>> connection to be killed which is what your change does.
>
> Can't you just "set statement_timeout = something" if you don't want to
> let long queries complete?

Unfortunately the timeout is set on a Statement object, not the
Connection, so any number of different timeouts may be floating around and
we'd need to set and reset the timeout on each query execution to ensure
we're executing with the right timeout. So that's how it will be
implemented eventually, but it's not just a trivial SET that we're
missing.

Kris Jurka