Re: ParsedStatement Behavior

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: alfranio correia junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ParsedStatement Behavior
Date: 2006-12-01 14:09:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, alfranio correia junior wrote:

> Please, if there is any archive on this let me know.
> I was wondering if the reasons to have an specific protocol in order to
> prepare statements are:
>
> 1 - Previous versions of the driver used PREPARE and EXECUTE to implement
> server-prepared statements. This is supported on all server versions
> beginning with 7.3, but produced application-visible changes in query
> results, such as missing ResultSet metadata and row update counts.
>
> 2 - The need to transfer strange data types such as circle, point.
>
> 3 - To Improve performance as binary data type is usually shorter and avoid
> converting from text to binary and vice-versa.
>
> Disregarding such reasons, might I use "prepare name statement" ?

There's nothing stopping you from doing so. The only potential problem is
that I think one of the older server versions does not take bind
parameters passed to execute, but a recent release should avoid that. The
other question is why? The only advantage that I can see is that you have
better control of the lifespan of prepared statements.

Kris Jurka