Re: BUG #2060: Issue with Data base connection

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Manideep Kalisetty <mani7deep(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2060: Issue with Data base connection
Date: 2005-11-22 00:42:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Manideep Kalisetty wrote:

> Bug reference: 2060
> Email address: mani7deep(at)yahoo(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 7.2.2
> Details:
>
> I am using postgresql-8.1dev-402.jdbc3.jar JDBC driver and websphere
> application server. Even though I am successfully closing connections, the
> error message I am receivng is "Backend start-up failed: FATAL 1: Sorry,
> too many clients already". Please refer to the Exception report below:

Well, something is leaving connections open. Checking the results of
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity; will tell you what database and username
they are connected to which may help. While this code doesn't appear to
be using a connection pool, perhaps you have another application that is
using a pool that is configured to open too many connections? Still, the
most likely cause is a coding error failing to close connections.

Kris Jurka