Re: strange jdbc problem moving to 8.1 database

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: kevin(at)mtel(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange jdbc problem moving to 8.1 database
Date: 2005-11-11 21:54:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 kevin(at)mtel(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:

> hi, i've got a test system under fedora 4/ 8.04 postgres that works
> fine. I installed 8.1 on a production machine using redhat 9, and weird
> errors start happening.
>
> this will produce true in 8.04 but not 8.1. There are other (similar)
> statements against these tables that have stopped working.
> the tables are defines as follows

That's certainly a strange one. I see no reason for plain string
comparisons to fail randomly. My only guess would be some sort of
locale/encoding issue. Are both databases using the same locale and
encoding? What do you get from "SHOW lc_collate;" and "SHOW
server_encoding;" on each? This seems especially bizarre given that it
works from psql (implying something might be wrong converting from
client_encoding to the server_encoding) and also that you have such
vanilla values for these parameters ("ADMIN" and such, not unusual
characters from distant parts of the world.)

Kris Jurka