Re: Bug with deleteRow() for the ResultSet using PostgreSQL

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: ChristopherPesarchick(at)westfieldgrp(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug with deleteRow() for the ResultSet using PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-11 23:14:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 ChristopherPesarchick(at)westfieldgrp(dot)com wrote:

> JDBC Driver : PostgreSQL 7.4 (Build 213)
>
> I am having an issue with the driver when I do a deleteRow using a
> ResultSet record. It skips records.
> For example, if I have seven records and I select all of them in a
> ResultSet, spin through each one and call deleteRow() the result is wrong.
> The 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th records are deleted, but the others are not.

Behind the scenes the rows are stored in a Vector and there is an "int
current_row" pointer to the current row. The problem is that when a row
is deleted from the Vector, how should the current_row value be adjusted?
Currently nothing happens so current_row effectively points to the next
row so that when next() is called that row is skipped. Simply
decrementing current_row on a delete won't work because it introduces the
exact same problem except with previous(). When I looked at this problem
before I wanted to see if a cleaner solution presented itself than adding
a new variable like "boolean onDeletedRow" that would need to be
checked or reset in a significant number of places, but perhaps that's the
only way to go.

Kris Jurka