Re: string functions

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: Michael Fuchs <liste(at)vividscreen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: string functions
Date: 2002-06-11 09:55:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

First let's assume that your universe of e-mail addresses don't encompass
common usage (just a sample and enough to illustrate that address parsing
requires a full-on parser and not just a simple match against _%(at)_%(dot)_%(dot)

RFC 821 compliant machine part only
"Atom Atom/Atom/Atom"@domain.domain
Atom(at)domain(dot)domain
Atom(at)domain

This is what actually appears and isn't always spec compliant
<machine_address>
<machine_address> "Text Text"
<machine_address> "Text (address(at)domain(dot)domain) Text"
<machine_address> (comment comment address(at)domain(dot)domain)
"Text Text" machine_address
"Text (address(at)domain(dot)domain) Text" machine_address

Anyhow the expression:

SELECT substr(email,1,strpos(email,'@')) FROM ...

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org