Re: Cascaded updates / deletes don't work on inherited

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: Michael Barber <mbarber(at)netraver(dot)org(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cascaded updates / deletes don't work on inherited
Date: 2002-05-07 14:29:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Yep, you're right. Inheritance doesn't really mix well with integrity
constraints (or so say the gurus like Josh Berkus and Tom Lane if you
search the archives). This means that uniqueness constraints are not
enforced across inheritance trees. Each table may have it's own uniqueness
constrains but the tree as a whole does not.

I do something similar for an application I'm working on. I get around
this by exporting my primary key to another table and everything relates
to *that*. For example SoSPeople is the parent and contains no real
records. I have 87 child tables (one for each county of Minnesota) which
exist to partition the 2.5 million records into smaller chunks. Now if I
want to use a primary key I have a supplementary table SoSIDs which is a
single column wide and only contains the primary key data. Other tables
relate to the ID table and the SoSPeople tables also relate to it (since
it is representative of them).

You'll want to decide how to handle deletes, updates and insertions. I do
all of my update work to the single parent SoSPeople and use triggers to
maintain the ID table, re-insert the record into a child table, delete the
ID from the ID table etc. Check out the app on my web page at
http://www.greentechnologist.org/political/Voter/ (and the last part is
dev or something like that). Just browse.

Joshua b. Jore