Transactional logging

From: Mark Jewiss <mark(dot)jewiss(at)knowledge(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Transactional logging
Date: 2000-03-02 09:57:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Haven't seen this mentioned in a while, or in the documentation (if it is
there though, please point it out). Have been trying the archives for a
while as well, but am getting no response from the server after submitting
search queries....

Currently I have my installation of Postgres storing level 3 diagnostics
to a file for analysis. This is on a devlopment server, and the log files
are being used for debugging applications, etc.

What I want to be able to do is store details of every transaction that is
made against a database to a log file. If my production server then falls
apart, I can take this log file, and run it against a backup database to
bring the backup up to date (or as close as possible to the time of the
crash).

I don't want to store all of the different connection information or other
messages that level 3 debug mode produces though - I just want to store
the SQL itself. I would assume that every transaction in the log file has
been executed against the database, which authenticated the users in
advance.

Is there any way to do this in Postgres currently, or in version 7? Or is
there another way to achieve the same result?

Regards,

Mark.
--
Mark Jewiss