PostgreSQL profiling?

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL profiling?
Date: 2001-02-02 19:05:00
Lists: pgsql-general

A quick question:

Have someone made effort to do profiling of pgsql during execution of
certain things (inserts, selects, sorting, indices)?

I have a feeling (based on stopping postgres from gdb periodically), that
a lot of time is used in strcoll() (if table and index has string
columns).

Column in question is declared char(3).

So, why's postgres collating anything at all?

I'll get back to you with more details and tracebacks, but I just wanted
to check if anyone done any profiling...

-alex