Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!
Date: 2003-10-09 14:51:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> So you want -fast added as default for non-gcc Solaris? You mentioned
> there is a warning generated that we have to deal with?

Yeah, suncc generates a warning for _every_ file that says:
Warning: -xarch=native has been explicitly specified, or implicitly
specified by a macro option, -xarch=native on this architecture implies
-xarch=v8plusa which generates code that does not run on pre-UltraSPARC
processors

And then I get various warnings here and there...

lots of "statement not reached" as in ecpg's type.c module
The offending code is a big switch statement like:
case ECPGt_bool:
return ("ECPGt_bool");
break;

And then any functiont aht uses PG_RETURN_NULL generates " warning:
end-of-loop code not reached"

and a bunch of "constant promoted to unsigned long long"

And some places such as in fe-exec.c have code like this:
buflen = strlen(strtext); /* will shrink, also we discover
if

where strtext is an unsigned char * which generates warning: argument #1
is incompatible with prototype:

and then various other type mismatches here and there.

I skimmed through the manpage.. it doesn't look like we can supress
these..

Not sure we want it to look like we have bad code if someone uses cc.
perhaps issue a ./configure notice or something?

gcc compiles things fine.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/