Re: location of the configuration files

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "J(dot) M(dot) Brenner" <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 23:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 Feb 2003, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> What your comments strongly suggest to me is that projects like
> PostgreSQL and pine, along with everything else, should comply with FHS;
> then there will be no confusion because everyone will be following the
> smae standards. Messes arise when people ignore standards; we have all
> seen the dreadful examples of MySQL and the Beast, haven't we?

Actually FHS says the opposite. If the distribution installs PostgreSQL
then the config files belong in /etc/postgresql. If the admin does then
they belong in /usr/local/etc/postgresql. FHS is out of their tree. If
PostgreSQL or any other package is not critical to the basic operation of
the operating system, it's config files shouldn't be polluting /etc.

Vince.
--
Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond! http://www.pop4.net/
http://www.meanstreamradio.com http://www.unknown-artists.com