Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgresSQL PHPlist <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Manuel Lemos <mlemos(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX
Date: 2002-01-24 00:29:44
Lists: pgsql-php

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> You can propose this syntax additon on the pgsql-sql list, which exists
> to discuss these kinds of issues. However, I will warn you that the
> core developers have already rejected the REPLACE syntax once as an
> unnecessary deviation from the SQL92 standard.
>
> There was a long discussion following that rejection, sometime last
> summer I think, about how one could use triggers or rules to ape this
> functionality on an INSERT statement. See the pgsql-sql list
> archives.
>
> You can, of course, also write the ANSI committee and propose that
> REPLACE be added to SQL3. Good luck.

Has it ever been brought up on hackers? I remember the create or
replace stuff conversation, but that was regarding functions. I
can't remember anything about insert or update. Chris, maybe you
wanna bring it up there? I'm going to be available only on a limited
basis the next couple of weeks or so or I would.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com