Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, alavoor <alavoor(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date: 2002-01-22 15:04:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > You are, but it's alright. What we're trying to head off is the
> > repeated "why not gpl" issue. By only saying that we like the bsd
> > license and plan on staying with it only invites more why's, as we've
> > experienced every time in the past, and the end result is we have to
> > explain which, of course, only invites more comments, why's, etc. This
> > simple explanation will *hopefully* put it to rest. There will be no
> > reason to ask why when that answer is already given.
>
> Hmm. But it isn't a simple explanation, it invites controversy and
> argument, and it isn't necessary. I appreciate your efforts to find some
> other phrasing while still addressing "why don't we switch?", but imho
> that line of explanation just shouldn't be there, period.
>
> Let's get back to the FAQ issue. There are two questions which might be
> asked and which might be included in a FAQ:
>
> 1) Q: Why does PostgreSQL have a BSD license?
> A: PostgreSQL was developed at Berkeley and open-sourced under the
> BSD license. That license has served us well over many years.
>
> 2) Q: Why does PostgreSQL not have a GPL license?
> A: See (1)

It's worth a try if you actually think it'll work, but as many times as
I've seen it come up I seriously doubt #2 will settle it and the
complaints of trying to sidestep the issue will be the new platform for
those wanting it changed.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com