[RFC] Proposed split of -interfaces list ...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [RFC] Proposed split of -interfaces list ...
Date: 2001-01-18 03:25:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

After some discussions with various members of the project, it was
suggested that an RFC be sent out to the -interfaces list asking for
opinions ...

Due to the growing volume on these lists, primarily around the ODBC and
JDBC drivers, I'm proposing that a split to this list be made, so that we
have:

pgsql-interfaces-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
- ODBC related discussions

pgsql-interfaces-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
- JDBC related discussions

pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
- libpq, libpq++, python, tcl

The point of this would be to make it easier for those interested in one
of ODBC/JDBC to follow discussions without having the other interfaces
mixed in amongst it ...

Eventually, if we need to, we can break off stuff like
python/tcl/libpq,etc, but right now their volume is such that, I'd hazard
a guess, they account for 1/3 of the traffic on the list, while ODBC/JDBC
each account for 1/3 ...

Now, one of the suggestions made was to 'disband' -interfaces and replace
it with -interfaces-misc ... I'm kind of on the fence with that idea,
simply because it means that those that aren't interested in JDBC/ODBC now
have to re-subscribe to a new list ...

I can create the lists and, if ppl use them, great ... if they don't, fine
too ... but would like some feedback, as unless ppl do use the new lists,
there is no point in creating them ...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org