Re: Link to bug webpage

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to bug webpage
Date: 2001-08-21 15:27:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com> writes:
> >> That is the real question. Do we want to rely more heavily on a bug
> >> database rather than the email lists? I haven't heard many say they
> >> want that.
>
> > The database keeps track of it. When someone uses the bugtool to
> > report a bug it's mailed to the bugs list.
>
> But the problem is the lack of feedback the other way. In my mind,
> and I think in the minds of the rest of the developers, the pgsql-bugs
> list is where bug discussions happen. That's not something I have any
> interest in trying to change. Thus, I see little point in trying to
> maintain a bug database that's separate from the pgsql-bugs archives.
>
> I still think a link to a searchable pgsql-bugs archive could replace
> this bug database very easily.

Some of the discussions could go on for weeks. Are you saying that
wading thru a few hundred posts to find out what a solution was is
better than a quick searchable summary?

Personally I don't care if the bugs form, database, or any of that
gets used. But if anyone expects to get meaningful bug reports you
better plan on coming up with something alot easier than a mailing
list you have to subscribe to (or wait till approved) for your info.
You need to ask yourself how many bugs wouldn't be reported if it
was harder to report them.

PostgreSQL is gaining in the number of users, it's gonna get a whole
lot worse before it gets any better.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com