Re: Invoices

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex(at)apartia(dot)ch>
Cc: Ludwig Meyerhoff <ludwig(at)antar(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invoices
Date: 2001-05-14 11:43:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> * On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:45:23PM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 May 2001, Ludwig Meyerhoff wrote:
> >
> > > Hallo!
> > >
> > > Maybe this is a bit off-topic, as this problem is more a "design"-one, but
> > > I wanted to write a web-application write invoices more easy. I wonder if
> > > it was a good idea to try this using Postgres or if it was better to write
> > > the data of each invoice in a separate file in a separate directory.
> > >
> > > I doubt it was a good idea to put all the data into one database like
> >
> > I wrote a couple of programs for various projects to do this (one was
> > for someone else so I can't release it). I kept all the data in their
> > own tables - account info in the account table, customer info in the
> > customer table, etc. - and put the data together as I generated the
> > invoice. Simple, huh? Not exactly.
> >
> > Here's where the problem arises. You can create a really good looking
> > invoice, in fact you can create a whole bunch of really good looking
> > invoices. What you can't do with a web app is send a form feed to the
> > printer!
>
> Yes you can. Try the CSS2 reference manual:
>
> 13.3 Page breaks
>
> The following sections explain page formatting in CSS2. Five properties
> indicate where the user agent may or should break pages, and on what
> page (left or right) the subsequent content should resume. Each page
> break ends layout in the current page box and causes remaining pieces of
> the document tree to be laid out in a new page box.
>
> And it works, we use it in our own app.

Yes, that was pointed out last week. It works with opera and ie, not
with mozilla or any of the netscapes (4 or 6) but it is a start.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com