Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-29 18:45:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Karel Zak - Zakkr wrote:

> - raw i/o device storage manager

I can't see this ever happening, since it would require having to write
low-level device drivers, vs using what the OS already has ...

One thing someone *did* mention though was that Linux(?) now has (or is
working on?) low level functions to do this...I'm not sure what would be
involved to use this functionatilty though...anyone in the Linux camp able
to respond?

Basically, if "low_level_read()" was found by configure, add in the
functionality? Something like that?

Just curious though...how do you monitor something like that? Say I do
this on a 4gig file system, and it fills up? Then what?

>From what I've read in Oracle manuals, the benefits of doing raw-I/O don't
outweigh the headaches of implementing it, but if it is something that
someone wants and can implement cleanly at an *operating system* level
(similar to the Linux function calls someone previously mentioned), then
there appears to be little disadvantages ...

... but if we have to create and maintain our own device drivers, then the
headaches (long term) are definitely not worth it, since if the person
that did the driver decides to bog off, we're left with code that isn't
supported, and in an Open Source project, that means code that will
generally die and get removed :(

> - replication

This is something that alot of ppl want/are interested in...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org