Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Ronald Cole <ronald(at)forte-intl(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Date: 2000-12-04 20:08:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29 Nov 2000, Ronald Cole wrote:

> Raymond Chui <raymond(dot)chui(at)noaa(dot)gov> writes:
> > I am just start look at PostgreSQL for our Redhat Linux.
> > I am wonder why most of people choose MySQL in Linux
> > world rather than PostgreSQL? PostgreSQL has 15 years
> > history (I never know that before) which is much longer
> > than MySQL. Also PostgreSQL supports a lot of things
> > which MySQL has not support yet.
>
> Postgres, yes. PostgreSQL, no. PostgreSQL was a new project with
> Postgres95 as a starting point. Postgres95 was an attempt to put an
> SQL front-end on Postgres. AFAIK, most all of the Postgres code was
> jettisoned early on for performance reasons. That makes PostgreSQL
> roughly five years old, code-wise.
>
> I still have a Postgres95 tree in CVS before the PostgreSQL fork to
> prove it, too! ;)

so do we :) way way back when:

RCS file: /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot/pgsql/HISTORY,v
Working file: HISTORY
head: 1.79
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
REL7_0_PATCHES: 1.70.0.2
REL7_0: 1.70
REL6_5_PATCHES: 1.52.0.2
REL6_5: 1.52
REL6_4: 1.44.0.2
release-6-3: 1.33
SUPPORT: 1.1.1.1
PG95-DIST: 1.1.1

Postgres95 1.02 Thu Aug 1 18:00:00 EDT 1996

Source code maintainenance and development
* worldwide team of volunteers
* the source tree now in CVS at ftp.ki.net
* developers mailing list - pg95-dev(at)ki(dot)net

yeesh ... now *that* is old ... 4.5 years and growing ...