Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL

From: Philip Hallstrom <philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com>
To: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date: 2000-11-17 21:15:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> On Jue 16 Nov 2000 22:54, Marko Kreen wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:33:08PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > I run PHP4 and IMP (http://www.horde.org) and we've gotten then to remove
> > > the useof pg_pconnect() since it is broken. Broken how, you might
> > > ask? Well, I ran on a standalone machine, no other web users but myself,
> > > to test, and each tim eI hit the database with IMP,. it opened a new
> > > backend, but it never reused old, idle ones ... eventually, you run out
> > > of the ability to connect since you've locked up all connections ...
> >
> > Maybe you have the apache maxspareservers set too high? I run
> > PHP4/apache (debian-woody) and it works ok. If this is only IMP
> > site maybe you are better off
> >
> > apache.MaxClients = postgres.backendcount
>
> What I can say on my behave is that (as the only user of PHP and Postgres on
> the computer) when I login to IMP webmail, quite a lot of postmasters appear,
> and don't dissapear after logging off.
> but I have no problem. I can be all day with IMP fooling around and the
> backend postmaster would stay around the 20 live conections.
>
> Any comments?

What is the value for MinSpareServers in your apache's conf? If that's
set to 20, then even if you only hit your site 20 times (one for each),
that many apache processes will continue to live and therefore keep a db
connection open..??

What would be interesting to know is after your down how many postmaster
processes are running and how many httpd processes are running...

-philip