Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL

From: joseph(at)randomnetworks(dot)com
To: carl garland <carlhgarland(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar, RDNELSON(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us, davidb(at)vectormath(dot)com, mfork(at)toledolink(dot)com, poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date: 2000-11-15 17:28:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, carl garland wrote:

# >perhaps why, even at 5 clients, the page views he shows never went
# >significantly above 10/sec?
#
# I think alot of it has to do with the web server/db setup not pg. They are
# using Apache/PHP and looking at their code every page has the additional
# overhead of making the db connection. Now if they had used AOLserver with
# its persistent db connecction pooling scheme they may have faired better ;)

I haven't actually looked at their code they used to test with to
see if they are actually using it, but Apache/PHP has the ability to do
persistent db connections. I would be surprised that someone like Tim (
who seems to have done a fair bit of php with db stuff) would not make use
of such a feature.

If you can point out an example of where they are not using this
feature I will gladly stand corrected.

| Joseph Scott The Office Of Water Programs |
| joseph(at)randomnetworks(dot)com joseph(dot)scott(at)owp(dot)csus(dot)edu |