Re: Autoconf version discrepancies

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autoconf version discrepancies
Date: 2000-10-09 19:04:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
>
> > Okay, autoconf on hub.org is based on what is in ports ... the only
> > "custom patches" are that which are in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf/patches,
> > and I just went through them and there doesn't look like anything *odd* in
> > there ... can you look at those patches and tell me which one is screwing
> > things up for you, that I'm not seeing? :(
>
> The patches ad, ae, and af will cause configure to fail on machines
> without mktemp. It's not like things get "screwed up" for me, but the
> point of Autoconf is portability to *all* machines, so FreeBSD-specific
> changes/optimizations(?) seem misplaced.

okay, I just looked through those patches, and all they are doing is
changing the use of $$ to use the process id as a temp file name to using
'mktemp' ... have we had any reports of this breaking anything on any of
the platforms we support? If so, then I agree this is a bad thing, if
not, I'm curious as to why this has suddenly become a problem since we've
been using this autoconf since March 8:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4987 Mar 8 2000 /usr/local/bin/autoconf