Re: Eternal vacuuming....

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Eternal vacuuming....
Date: 2000-05-11 17:25:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Tim Perdue wrote:

> This seems like a hack to me personally. Can someone figure out why the
> vacuum runs forever and fix it? Probably a logic flaw somewhere?

I run on a >9million tuple database, and growing, in <10 minutes or so
... its the search engine for the archives, and I'm finding that if I do a
'vacuum verbose', I'm getting alot of deletes (updated records) ...

not quite the same number that you are reporting, mind you, but ...

what does a 'vacuum verbose' show for you? and youa ren't doing a 'vacuum
analyze', are you?