Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?))

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Sergio A(dot) Kessler" <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?))
Date: 1999-10-12 04:22:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Note: I still don't like the scripts...they create lazy, uneducated DBAs,
of which I was one, since I didn't even *know* there were internal
commands that did more then the external ones did, for the longest time...

Personally, those scripts should jsut become:

try 'create user' from psql interface

*grump look*

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I think Thomas' primary problem was the underscore. (?)
>
> OK.
>

> > I was going to say that I can take of that, since I was going to adjust
> > the scripts to play well with the new psql anyway. (In particular, I just
> > terminally removed the -a option, since it has gone unused for a while and
> > might be a very popular option switch in the future. Switches are becoming
> > scarce these days.)
> >
> > I can offer the following plan (from my bin dir):
> >
> > cleardbdir --> (Remove. It's been a while.)
>
> Good.
>
> > createdb --> pgcreatedb
>
> Good.
>
> > createlang --> (In my excessively undereducated opinion, this should
> > be removed. createdb and createuser I can see but
> > this?)
>
> Yes, remove. What is that doing there. Jan's plpgsql doesn't use it. :-)
>
> > createuser --> pgcreateuser
> > destroydb --> pgdestroydb
>
> Can I recommend pgdropdb?
>
> > destroylang --> (see above)
> > destroyuser --> pgdestroyuser
>
> pgdropuser?
>
> > ecpg
> > initdb --> pginitdb
> > initlocation --> pginitlocation
> > ipcclean --> pg_ipcclean
> > (An underscore here to make it more complicated to type :)
> > . . .
>
> Not sure about that.
>
> > vacuumdb --> pgvacuumdb
>
> OK.
>
> > Alternatively, there could also be shorter commands, now that the
> > association with the PostgreSQL installation is clearer:
> > pgcrdb
> > pgcruser
> > pgdestdb
> > pgdestuser
> > pgvacuum
>
> Too cryptic for me.
>
> > This might remove the mnemonic association with the related SQL commands
> > (which some might find desirable). Some might also go for a set like this:
> > pguseradd
> > pguserdel
> > pgmkdb
> > pgrmdb
> > in association to *nix commands. (Some might find that a bad idea).
>
> Doesn't grab me.
>

> > Furthermore I was thinking about a configure switch along the following
> > lines:
> >
> > --enable-scripts=old|new|both|none
> > (defaults to new)
>
> Too complicated. Issue a warning if invoked with old args and remove
> old link in 8.x. You can test basename $0 and test to see how you were
> invoked.
>

> > since a while back there was some talk about removing the scripts
> > altogether (which also died after Thomas protested, I think).
>
> I like the scripts too.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> [...]

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org