Re: [SQL] Postgres Table grows very quickly?

From: Michael Richards <miker(at)scifair(dot)acadiau(dot)ca>
To: Michael Green <michael(dot)green(at)gbst(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Postgres Table grows very quickly?
Date: 1999-09-14 01:38:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Michael Green wrote:

> UPDATE routerinfo SET lastdate = '09-14-1999', lasttime = '09:00' WHERE
> linkid = 'Sydney';
>
> Routerinfo is 8k after the initial update, from then on it grows 8k for
> every update. I never do an insert and it never grows beyond 16 rows. It

Check out mvcc. Basically running an update does duplicate the tuple. A
vacuum will reclaim the extra space. 8k (an entire page) seems a little
excessive for each updated tuple, but I don't really know anything about
how data is physically stored.

I generally run vacuum; once a night and vacuum analyze; once a week, but
that's more or less dependant on tyour database.

-Michael