Re: Really bad/weird stuff with views over tables in 7.0.2

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Really bad/weird stuff with views over tables in 7.0.2
Date: 2000-09-02 17:51:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> If you define a table and then create a select query rule over it
> then drop the rule the table will be gone.

What were you doing precisely? When I made a simple table and
then turned it into a view with a rule, dropping the rule
didn't seem to drop the table for me, I could still select
from it, etc after the rule dropped. [I think I probably
misunderstood what you were doing, but...]

create table aa1 (a int);
create rule "_RETaa1" as on select to aa1 do instead
select anum as a from a;
select * from aa1;
drop rule "_RETaa1";
select * from aa1;

seems to work. The first select gives me whatever was in a
and the second gives me anything i inserted into aa1 before
making the rule.