Mailing list 'relay' sites ... News servers ... WWW/FTP Mirrors

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-mirrors(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 1999-04-30 15:00:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Morning all...

I'm trying to see if I can improve mail propogation for the
mailing lists, and one way of doing it is to setup 'relay'
sites...basically, using a software package called 'tlb', I can set up the
mailing lists so that all mail destined for a certain 'regex' expression
(ie. *.de) can be routed through a seperate host.

The idea is that, with, for instance, a 'relay site' in Germany,
if we route all .de mail through it, there is one message that has to go
across the pond, and then it gets fan'd out over there...

Requirements are simple. Enough disk space in your mail spool to
be able to handle this...currently, for all the email that goes through
the server, we've currently got ~3.7Meg spool'd, so not much space...and
permission on your server to relay through you (for those using anti-spam
filters, such as we are)...

If you are willing to do this, please contact me directly with the
host name to transfer through...

The other thing that we have going is a mail<->news
gateway...there are a few sites that are pulling news from us so that they
have it local, and a couple are even running "public" sites for that
particular hierarchy...

If anyone is interested in cross-feeding *just* that hierarchy,
please also contact me...

Vince, can you add points about both of these to the web site?
I'll send you a list of those news servers that we are talking to soon, so
that they can be listed/acknowledged the same as the WWW/FTP mirrors...

Finally, WWW/FTP mirror sites...recently, we implemented
'controls' on ftp access to the files under ftp.postgresql.org, such that
it is not possible to use 'mirror' to mirror them. All mirror sites now
must use rsync (http://rsync.samba.org) to do the mirroring, which allows
us tighter control over what goes out. (ie. OS specific db files) We're
going to be starting to clean up the mirror lists based on the rsync logs
that are maintained, to ensure that there isn't as much lag between sites
as there currently is (in some cases)...

If you are mirroring anything, please make sure that you are
registered on the pgsql-mirror(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list...after this
email, I won't be sending out another one similar to anything but that
list...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org