Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis(at)mindspring(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)usa(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-15 02:38:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > For instance, I already have MICO installed because of
> > koffice...I'd prefer not to have to install *another* one because I want
> > to use it for PostgreSQL.
>
> If I may, I'd like to put in a plug for ORBit. DISCLAIMER: I am the
> GNOME FAQ maintainer.

this isn't actually a voting process here...I don't want us locked
into one implementation. there are ppl out there that would prefer to use
mico because it is already installed on their system for some reason or
another...there should be absolutely no reason why this can't be coded
generic enough that, through a simple switch when running configure, one
or the other can be used...no?

> Again, I am a GNOME partisan, but I really do think that ORBit is a
> good choice and a reliable long-term investment. I encourage the
> PostgreSQL developers to consider it.

I would rather our implementatin be "non-partisan"...what happens
in a years time, or 6 months, when the "faults" in mico disappear, if they
do? at least if we work at staying non-partisan as far as which
implementation is used, switching will be transparent...all of them will
already be supported.

Bear in mind that ORBit and MICO are free implementations...what
about the commercial ones out there? Just like we tend to try and support
each OSs C compiler, I want us to stay non-partisan as far as any
"external tools" are concerned...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org