Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Taral <taral(at)cyberjunkie(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)usa(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-15 02:05:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Taral wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
> > I'd say start woking now. But when it will be ready is up in the air. And
> > hey why shouldn't we be the first?
> >
> > Michael
>
> I *like* that attitude! I'm researching CORBA now, to see if ORBit is
> sufficient for our needs.

Taral...

I'm putting *one* condition on all this...any code added to C
files *must* be of the sort that is generic enough that someone can decide
upon installation which implementation they want to use. For this, you
will need to do a corba.h file that contains:

#ifdef USING_MICO
#define ... ...
#elif USING_ORBIT
#define ... ...
#endif

I don't care if what you guys are working on only has ORBit stuff
in the corba.h file, but I (or anyone else) has to be able to modify that
one file in order for it to work with MICO also...or OMNIorb, or some
commercial product...

And, as I said before, there is no reason why any one of you has
to get a "working model" on your machine before starting to submit
patches. That kills productivity from the standpoint that two ppl are
going to end up working on the same functionality, independent of each
other...

Feel free to submit code such that:

#ifdef ENABLE_CORBA
<corba related stuff>
#else /* original method */
<old style stuff>
#endif

Too easy to add a --enable-corba option to configure...but at
least this way everyone sees what and where everyone else is working. In
the end, when it comes time to do it, we can strip that all out, but this
is looking like a fairly long term project, and with the ongoing changes
that go on in the code, getting the CORBA code in while all the other
changes are going on is a good thing in that it keeps code trees in
sync...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org