Re: [GENERAL] Problem with aggregates and group by

From: Mike Meyer <mwm(at)phone(dot)net>
To: Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)uni-bremen(dot)de>
Cc: szoli(at)netvisor(dot)hu, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problem with aggregates and group by
Date: 1998-10-31 03:19:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Ulf Mehlig wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't recommend a good book about SQL since I have
> read only the user manuals of the commercial database systems I had to
> work with; I know a rather theoretical textbook (Database System
> Concepts, H. F. Korth & A. Silberschatz, McGraw-Hill 1991) which
> explaines a bit of SQL (shortly!) and gives a (theoretical!)
> introduction of relational operations like joins. Maybe you find it in
> a library where you can copy the interesting pages ... But I'm sure
> there are people reading the list who can give better tips ;-)

The only SQL book I've ever seen recommened (other than the vendor
manuals) is "The Practical SQL Handbook" by Bowman, Emerson and
Darnovsky. The authors are (were?) Sybase tech writers, and the book
shows a Sybase bias. But it treys to point out where that is
happening.

The Amazon search turns up the current one, as well as the
out-of-print version I have. <URL:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-3198110-4570053?mode=books&keyword=The+Practical+SQL+Handbook&tag=meyerconsulting

<mike