Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, taral(at)mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.
Date: 1998-10-15 09:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > As everyone has pointed out, we can't count on a specific convention for
> > where the lock file should go. However, we can probably count on a
> > convention to be followed on a particular OS. That would seem to be
> > something to define in Makefile.port, which could then be overridden by
> > a configure option or Makefile.custom entry.
> >
> > On my RedHat Linux systems, the appropriate place seems to be /var/lock
> > or /var/lock/pgsql.
>
> I have talked to Billy. I see no real value to try chasing around
> OS-specific lock file locations. /tmp is fine, and if they don't have
> sticky bits in /tmp, they have much larger problems than the location of
> the lock file.

I personally do not like putting stuff like that into /tmp.../tmp,
IMHO, is such that if i need to, I can run 'find /tmp -mtime +1 -exec rm
{} \;" without feeling a twinge of worry or guilt...putting lock and/or
pid files in there is just plain *wrong*...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
scrappy(at){postgresql|isc}.org ICQ#7615664