Re: A post-7.1 wish-list.

From: Tom Samplonius <tom(at)sdf(dot)com>
To: Manuel Cabido <manny(at)msuiit(dot)edu(dot)ph>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A post-7.1 wish-list.
Date: 2001-01-11 06:17:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Manuel Cabido wrote:

> I would like to inquire if in the next release of postgresql the database
> will have to be compacted into a single file like what Interbase
> database supports? I find this feature convenient because it will simplify
> the updating of your database considering that you will be dealing only
> with one single file.

I don't understand how a single file is easier to update. What kind of
updates are you talking about?

A single file archicture requires that the database system have a
storage manager and a pseudo filesystem. It also becomes another thing to
configure and monitor. Ask anyone who has delt with Oracle's tablespace
and extent management on how complicated this can be.

Tom