Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items

From: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Date: 1998-10-29 16:43:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Jan Wieck wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >  Solaris just doesn't have any mechanisms to work around the
> > > limitation, I guess *shrug* It really sucks when you want to SIGHUP
> > > the "parent process", which, under FreeBSD at least, is the one that
> > > states: -accepting connections, but under Solaris they are *all* the
> > > same :)
> >
> > $ ps -eaf
> >      UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY      TIME CMD
> >     root     0     0  0   Oct 12 ?        0:01 sched
> >     root     1     0  0   Oct 12 ?        0:15 /etc/init -
> >
> > You'll note the 'PPID' field.
> >
> > 3 guesses what that stands for.
> >

>     Don't see how this is related to the topic - sorry.

I really have to start explaining things using more words don't I.

>     PPID  is  the  parent process ID. sched has no parent (it's a
>     kernel pseudo process) and init has sched as father. For  all
>     other  processes  the  PPID  is set to init's PID at the time
>     their father dies (you'll see lot's of PPID=1).

Reread the bit of text I quoted.  Read my reply.  How does my reply
address the problem scrappy had?

The bits of ps output I quoted were only serving to demonstrate actual
data produced by the ps command I used.  The actual commands weren't
important, only the PID and PPID fields were.

>     But this all has nothing to do with changing the  CMD  column
>     of the ps output from inside a running process.

No, but changing the CMD column is only eye-candy.  Its not necessary to
be able to tell which processes are children and which is the parent.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter(at)jurai(dot)net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |