Re: compilation error

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: "Daniel A(dot) Melo" <daniel(at)codata(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compilation error
Date: 2001-03-08 16:08:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Daniel A. Melo wrote:
> ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)aca wrote:

> > > The configure could not find some headers files (limits.h, netdb.h,
> > > pwd.h...) .
> > > i searched for them and they are in
> > > "/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include/linux" and " /usr/include"
> >
> > Are you saying that there is only 1 of each of those files,
> > distributed across the 2 different directory trees, or that
> > both directory trees contain files with those names?
>
> both contain files with those names and ive found other directories with
> files like those....

The ones in /usr/include should be used if they are there. Sometimes
a file is in a subdirectory of /usr/include (like
/usr/include/sys/time.h), in which case the include should have been
#include <sys/time.h>

Somehow, I doubt a problem like this is happening in your
case.

> > I believe I've seen mention that application programs (like
> > PostgreSQL) should NOT be using kernel headers. Apparently
> > that is going to be made more difficult in the 2.4.x series.
>
> And what headers should i use?????

If PostgreSQL is calling kernel source headers, that is a job
for the PostgreSQL maintainers to address. Somehow, your ./configure
has gotten confused (IMHO).

> > > ive tryed:
> > >
> > > ./configure --prefix="/usr/local/pgsql" --with-perl --with-odbc
> > > --with-includes="/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include/linux /usr/include"
>
> Its exactly like the postgres html manual....

Well, I haven't read the manual in a while. But I have
been compiling a zillion packages (it seems) lately.

> > This doesn't quite look right (the includes directive). I would
> > expect something like a PATH statement
> > /usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include/linux:/usr/include
> > or
> > --with-includes=/usr/src/linux.... --with-includes=/usr/include
> > But, since /usr/include should always be part of the includes
> > path,
>
> but the limits.h was not in /usr/include and i made a copy from
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include/linux:/ to there...

I'm running Debian stable on a handy machine, it has many limits.h
include files: /usr/include, /usr/include/linux, a gcc specific one,
a perl one (actually perl-tk), several kernel ones (more than 1
kernel source tree on my machine). In general, the 9 limits.h files
on my system are all different. So, you don't want to copy a limits.h
file from the kernel sources into /usr/include. I suspect your
C compiler didn't install completely/correctly, for you to be missing
header files in /usr/include.

Maybe you should try re-installing or updating your C-compiler,
and see if you get all the headers files.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)